NOVA CrossFit, Monday, 11.30.15
Welcome back after the very filling holiday weekend. Lets get back on track this week. Holidays are always hard. Lots of good treats that are so tempting. Choose wisely because you don’t want to feel guilty or have aches and pains during your WOD. Sugar can get the best of us! Be stronger than that holiday treat.
Friday is the Christmas Party. Bring a small gift for exchange. And wear a Christmas sweater if you have one. We will WOD then have a pot luck and gift exchange.
Power Clean – 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3
Complete the following for time:
100 Double Unders
15 Power Cleans (M:135#/W:95)
10 Power Cleans
5 Power Cleans
50 Double Unders
*18 minute time cap
Open Gym 10-12
5 rounds for time
15 overhead squats (95/65)
NOVA CrossFit, Tuesday, 11.24.15
It’s a ladies week. These are oldies but goodies. Check em and next time you are talking shop and some asks you for your Fran time… You can answer!
Mobility and again lots of it…
Strict Press: 1rm, back off 80%3×3
30 C&J for time (135/95)
NOVA CrossFit, Monday, 11.23.15
Mobility and lots of it with a wonderful warm up of your choosing.
Back Squat: 60% of 3×3
Long relaxed cool down.
NOVA CrossFit, 11.20.15
Front Squat: 5 sets x 3 reps
Cult of Fitness provides some tips on improving your metal game.
1. Don’t think. Back in college, I had a housemate who was a bodybuilder. I was lifting regularly at the time, and I commented to him that I was having some great workouts, and it really had my excited to keep going back to the gym. He shook his head. “What’s wrong?” I asked. He said “You don’t go to the gym because you’re having great workouts, because you won’t always have great workouts. You go to the gym because that’s what you do. You don’t think about it–you just go.” If you refuse to even consider the possibility of not going, you can’t talk yourself out of the workout.
2. Make a short-term plan and write it down. I am going to do X for the next 30 days. I’m not to going to think about this plan or deviate from it–I’m just going to do it. After I’ve achieved this, I’ll revaluate. Similar to #1, but this gives you something additional to hold on to: you just have to make it to the end of the month.
3. Put it on the schedule. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night I did CrossFit. This was my top priority with (almost) no exceptions. Despite typical vacations/work travel/illness/injury, I did more than 140 WODs that year in addition to my other workouts.
4. Get a partner. Set a schedule and agree that the main purpose of your partnership is consistency, and that’s how you will sure success. Agree that neither one of you will try to talk the other out of a workout unless someone is sick or injured. If you’re feeling over-trained, get together and do something easy like a recovery run, but don’t skip.
5. Use your kid’s schedule. My son does kung fu. I do it with him. I have to be there anyway, I get a great workout, and it’s a while lot of fun. (Getting advice on my form from a “higher belt”, who may be all of 7 years old, is also pretty amusing. Plus the advice can really help!). I started CrossFit after signing my son up for a speed and agility course at the same facility. I couldn’t skip because he had to be there, and once I got there I was training.
6. When you’re the instructor, you have to show up. This applies to working at a fitness facility or just helping a friend train. One winter helping a buddy train for his first Ironman, I promised I would do all of his long runs with him. So every Sunday, I did a second, very slow long run in addition to my normal Saturday group run (my highest two-day total was 31 miles). It was mentally very easy because I was running slowly, and because I was more focused on helping him than on my own efforts. Because I had committed to help, not showing up never crossed my mind. And as you can probably guess, I ended up with the best run fitness I’ve had before or since.
The most powerful thing your mind can do for you as an athlete is get you to the workout. If you can’t do that, nothing else matters.
By: Cult of Fitness
3 Power Cleans on the minute for 10 minutes
Complete 21/15/9 Reps for time of:
*15 minute time cap.